Healthy, light, delicious and really easy to make are all the requirements necessary for a great late summer meal in my book. This recipe fits the bill. This salad is perfect for lunch, picnics and potlucks, as well as a light dinner side dish. It’s vegan/dairy free, gluten free and nut free.
Easy Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup fresh shelled peas
- 2/3 cup diced French breakfast radish
- 2/3 cup diced carrots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chive
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, maple syrup, ground cumin, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Combine cooked quinoa, peas, radish, carrots, garlic, pepitas, parsley, chives and oregano in a bowl.
- Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.
Alicia Ghio is a passionate home cook on a mission to inspire others to know where their food comes from, to know what’s in it and to savor the flavors of fresh, local ingredients. She is the founder and author of the blog Local Food Rocks.