I like to think of this recipe as a touch of New England with a hint of Tex-Mex thanks to a few chipotle peppers in adobo. This one-pot meal gives you sweet and spicy flavors in a light, yet creamy tasting soup.
Slow Cooker Corn + Sweet Potato Chowder
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 chipotles in adobo, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds of frozen corn
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Place all the listed ingredients, up to the coconut milk, into the slow cooker insert.
- Place on the cover. Cook on low for 6-1/2 hours.
- After 6 hours, stir in the coconut milk. Put the lid back on and let it finish cooking.
- Serve immediately.
For the meat eaters out there: top each serving with 1 strip of crumbled bacon.
Alicia Ghio is a passionate home cook on a mission to inspire others to know where their food comes from, to know what’s in it and to savor the flavors of fresh, local ingredients. She is the founder and author of the blog Local Food Rocks.