Put a whole new spin on your bowl of oatmeal. Instead of going sweet, go savory. Whether you’re making it for breakfast or as a quick weeknight dinner, it’s a comforting dish that takes less than 15 minutes to make and is a great source of whole grains and protein.
This is what I like to call a base recipe – simple, without a lot of fuss. The idea is that you can take this base anywhere you want by adding in other ingredients like sautéed veggies, fresh herbs or other fun spices.
Savory Oatmeal with Poached Egg
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup thick rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 1 strip bacon
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Place the strip of bacon on a plate between two pieces of paper towel. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, bring the water to a simmer. Add the oats and turn the heat down, stirring. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the liquid is fully absorbed and the oats are soft. Transfer oats into a bowl.
- Poach the egg by filling a small saucepan halfway with water. Bring to a simmer. Carefully crack the egg into the water. Cover and turn off the heat. Let cook approximately 3-4 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the poached egg to the top of the oats. Sprinkle with a crumbled piece of bacon, season with salt and black pepper to taste, and add a dash of hot sauce if desired. Serve immediately.
Alicia Ghio is a passionate home cook on a mission to inspire others to know where their food comes from, to know what’s in it and to savor the flavors of fresh, local ingredients. She is the founder and author of the blog Local Food Rocks.