I don’t make or even eat rice pudding very often. I am not sure why; it’s certainly easy to make and even easier to eat. There’s something about it that is unpretentious and yet so satisfying. It takes me back to childhood and those simpler times.
This holiday season I decided to create a “grown up” version of rice pudding. There are only four ingredients and it only takes half an hour from start to finish. You can serve it in mini portions, perfect for a crowd, or as a full portion for a small dinner party. I think it’s an unexpectedly delicious dessert to serve guests. And really, I think especially at the holidays, we all could benefit from a delectable treat to feel kind of like a kid again.
Boozy Rice Pudding
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup BomBom Nilli Vanilli Liqueur (or Bailey’s Irish Cream)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Pinch of salt
- Simmer milk in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add a pinch of salt and stir in rice. Cook 25 minutes or until most of the milk is absorbed. Stir frequently.
- Once cooked, stir in liqueur and simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Stir in the dried cranberries.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Alicia Ghio is a passionate home cook on a mission to inspire others to know where their food comes from, to know what’s in it and to savor the flavors of fresh, local ingredients. She is the founder and author of the blog Local Food Rocks.