The Danbury Police Department has received several reports of a person posing as a “health inspector” for the City of Danbury and charging businesses for inspections. The male caller will call unsuspecting businesses and identify himself as a city of Danbury Health Inspector and demand credit card prepayments over the phone for an inspection that will be performed the following day. The caller is targeting in particular nail salons.
The Danbury Police Department and the Danbury Health & Human Services Department want to remind you of the following:
- All City of Danbury Health Inspectors have official City of Danbury ID Badges. They will also provide you with official written documentation of all inspections.
- Danbury Health Inspectors WILL NOT call ahead to schedule an inspection. All inspections are unannounced.
- City of Danbury Health Inspectors DO NOT take cash or credit/debit cards.
- For any fees accessed or due, the business owner would be contacted via certified mail only.
- Letters for license renewal are always sent out only in the month of May.
If in doubt, you can verify any City of Danbury Health Inspector’s status by contacting the Danbury Health & Human Services Department at 203-797-4625.
If you receive one of the suspicious calls inquiring about prepayment for an inspection, please contact the Danbury Police Department at 203-797-4611.